Everyone Deserves Representation Secure Yours Today

VAWA Attorneys in Corpus Christi & Dallas, Texas

Specific United States laws protect people from the violence of others. Those legal protections are not reserved only for U.S. citizens. Immigrant abuse is also not permitted under U.S. law, and those who suffer abuse while in the United States may also seek protection from their abusers.

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) does not just apply to abused women. It applies to children and adults of any gender who are victims of abuse by someone close to them. If you live in Corpus Christi, Fort Worth, or Dallas, Texas, count on The Torres Law Firm to determine whether you qualify for protection and how to apply for it.

You Are Not Alone

Get in Contact

What Is the Violence Against Women Act?

The passing of the VAWA by the U.S. Congress in 1994 has been reauthorized multiple times. The law intends to protect vulnerable individuals from abuse and prosecute those who commit it. Those vulnerable individuals include non-U.S. citizens facing abuse by a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder) of the United States. Green Card holders may legally reside and work in the U.S.

The VAWA provides an opportunity for non-citizens to apply on their own for an adjustment of status based on the abuse, which allows them the freedom to escape their abuser. The law’s provisions provide confidentiality, so the self-petitioner’s application is not known or subject to the abuser. Moreover, children of the victim applicant under the age of 21 may also be eligible to apply for their Green Card.

Who Is Eligible to Apply Under the VAWA?

Those who are the victims of extreme cruelty or victims of harmful and unwanted contact caused by a U.S. citizen who is a spouse, former spouse, parent, or child of the victim are eligible to apply. So are victims of abuse by a spouse, former spouse, or parent who is a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.

Also, to be eligible, you must be eligible for immigrant status and be physically present in the U.S. when you file for adjustment of status. None of the bars to admission to the U.S. can apply to you, including health-related inadmissibility and bars related to the commission of crimes, terrorist activities, misrepresentation, or entered the country illegally.

You may still be eligible to apply for a Green Card under VAWA even if you are divorced from an abusive spouse or are the widow of an abusive spouse.

It is essential to rely on the counsel of our experienced immigration attorneys to determine your eligibility for lawful permanent resident status based on VAWA.

What Does the Application Process Involve?

If you are present in the U.S., you must first apply for special immigrant status before applying for adjustment of status. If you are outside the United States at the time of application, you must apply for a Green Card under VAWA through the consulate in the country you are in.

Your application must accompany several documents, including proof of immigrant status, a visa, passport photos, certified documents as evidence of no criminal activity, a copy of your birth certificate, and more. You will also need to provide evidence of the abuse on which your application is based.

Approval of your VAWA application for a Green Card is subject to the inspection, investigation, and approval of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

VAWA Attorneys Serving Corpus Christi, Texas

As with any application procedure for entry, visas, Green Cards, and citizenship in the United States, there are many forms and documents you must complete and provide. Do not be overwhelmed by the process required to take advantage of the VAWA protections. Turn to The Torres Attorneys in Corpus Christi, Texas. We are knowledgeable and compassionate immigration attorneys ready to help those who need us most. Our team at The Torres Law Firm proudly serves clients in Corpus Christi, Dallas, and Fort Worth, Texas.